UMES Administrative Affairs Manual
Memberships - Professionals & Academic Associations
A. Purpose. To set forth policies and procedures for payment of subscriptions and membership dues for professional and academic associations.
1. Institutional/departmental memberships are authorized and encouraged where funds for such memberships are available. Such memberships are defined as being vested in the institution (university/campus/department) but not in any individual member of the faculty, staff, or administration. Such memberships remain with the institution and the institution has the option of changing its designated representative.
2. Individual memberships will not, under normal circumstances, be funded by the university. Such membership is defined as being vested in an indvidual rather than an institution and is generally not transferable when the individual member leaved the institution.
3. Certain circumstances may warant an exceptioin to the above policy:
a. Where the association, by definition of its by-laws, does not have institutional or group memberships, and where it is deemed to be in the university's best interest to be represented.
b. Where an individual offers both institutional and individual memberships and the difference in cost between an individual and institutional membership is large enough to warrant representation of the institution through an individual membership, and where is is deemed to be in the university's best interest to be represented.
4. Professional subscriptions are authorized and encouraged where funds are available from departmental budgets. Such subscriptions are defined as relating to a departments field of study or profession. Such memberships remain with the institution and the institution has the option of changing its designated representative.
5. A department may have only one individual membership per association. Each request for subscription or membership must be made on a Purchase Requisition following the appropriate policy addressed under the Purchasing section (see index ADM 200) or contact the procurement office.