UMES Offers Gourmet Dining Series
PRINCESS ANNE, MD - (Sept. 30, 2010) - Chef Ralston Whittingham and his advanced culinary arts students in the Commercial Food Production course at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore are placing food orders and making final preparations for the second event in the Hotel and Restaurant Management's annual Gourmet Dining Series.
“The dining series presents an opportunity for our students to demonstrate their culinary skills,” said Dr. Ernest Boger, chair of the HRM Department at UMES. “Proceeds cover the food and other materials needed for the practicum experience.”
“Collectively, they (the advanced culinary students) are an awesome bunch,” said Whittingham. “They have a good understanding of cuisine and are the managerial hospitality leaders of the future.”
According to Whittingham, this year’s series takes on an international theme.
“We are borrowing from different cultures to make the events an international fusion of food,” Whittingham said.
On Friday, Nov. 12, the menu will be:
- "All That Jazz” turtle soup
- An appetizer duet: bordelaise frog legs and escargot with composed endives, greens, avocado and citrus vinaigrette
- Amandine soft shell crab with Missouri bison’s tenderloin Wellington
- Truffle oil macaroni and cheese with perigourdine sauce
- Sautéed pearl onions, squash and zucchini wrap
- Intermezzo: cilantro ice tea
- Rum torte cake with Bourbon Street crème sauce
The final dinner is Friday, Dec. 3. The menu is:
- Shrimp cocktail, catfish nuggets, stuffed strawberries and collard green puffs
- Blackened tuna and brine eggs appetizer with composed endive garden salad with vinaigrette.
- Intermezzo: coffee Granita
- Entrées: jumbo crab lump imperial with southwestern barbeque sirloin steak or honey-roasted pork loin with jus lie
- Corn and pepper pudding, broccoli flan and mango barbeque sauce
- Chocolate bomb tart with raspberry sauce
- Each of the five-course meals are paired with two wines
Tickets are available for $50 per person. They can be purchased Monday - Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., in the Richard Henson Center, Room 2100. Only checks or money orders made payable to UMES are accepted.
Seating time for each of the dinners is 7 p.m. For more information, contact Angie Price at 410-651-6563.
Gail Stephens, assistant director, UMES Office of Public Relations, 410-651-7580, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bill Robinson, director, UMES Office of Public Relations, 410-621-2355, email@example.com.