UMES Office of Procurement
The Office of Procurement is the campus unit which has been designated the sole responsibility for the procurement of all commodities, supplies, equipment and services for the campus.
The Office of Procurement provides services to the campus community on all procurement matters and related activities to include (but not limited to) locating and developing sources of supply, developing and assisting departments in developing specifications, soliciting bids, quotations and proposals, negotiating contracts, and interacting with vendors.
- Procure goods and services to effect best value procurement from the most reasonable and responsible source, consistent with quality requirements and delivery needs as will best promote the interest of the University.
- Establish and administer contracts effectively
- Ensure University business is conducted in a fair and open environment in full compliance with applicable laws and regulations of the state
- To outline and communicate procurement policies and procedures to the University community
- Identify opportunitites to enhance the University's buying power
- To provide excellent customer service to the campus community in response to all procurement related inquiries
- Support the State of Maryland Small Business Reserve and Minority Business Enterprise programs
Departments are not authorized to sign any contracts, enter into any agreements, or make any commitments with regards to the procurement of commodities, supplies, equipment or services which are binding to the University in any way; therefore, departments are requested to send such documents to the Office of Procurement for review and approval. Requestors may be held personally responsible for unauthorized purchases (purchases made without a legitimate purchase order, check request or VISA card prior to receiving items).
Departments must initiate a requisition, check request, or use their VISA Purchasing Card to request an item or service.