Department of Natural Sciences
This appointment is for one year (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014 or through date of graduation, whichever date occurs first). The Graduate Assistant will work a maximum of 20 hours per week. It is the expectation that the Graduate Assistant will be available during the fall, winter, spring and summer semesters. The Graduate Assistant will follow the staff/faculty calendar. This contract can and will be terminated if the Graduate Assistant does not demonstrate knowledge of the subject matter and is not cooperative in the course offering.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry as well as exemplary and effective communication skills. Applicants possessing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology will be considered provided supplemental information detailing their strength in chemistry is included in the personal statement. Applicants with prior undergraduate tutoring, supplemental instruction or teaching experience are preferred.
Course Redesign Graduate Assistant duties include:
- Supervision of the computer laboratory. Supervision includes informing the professor of the course of maintenance issues, maintaining an academic environment, student check-in and check-out, and ensuring the security of the hardware within the laboratory.
- Provision of on-demand assistance to students enrolled in the course.
- Provision of one-on-one and group tutoring and oversight of study sessions.
- Assistance with proctoring and grading examinations.
- Attending the class upon the request of the professor.
- Assistance with administrative tasks associated with the course such as making copies.
- Assistance with technical tasks such as the development of learning tools.
- Other matters as deemed appropriate in the delivery of the redesigned courses.
Applicants are required to submit resume, personal statement, unofficial transcript, and letter of recommendation/support from their thesis/dissertation advisor and one other professor/individual able to comment on the ability of the applicant to successfully fill this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. All applicants must have an application on file in the Office of Human Resources located in Bird Hall, 1st Floor- Room 1104. Materials may be e-mailed to email@example.com