While a spirit of joy and enthusiasm is encouraged, commencement is a dignified academic event that recognizes the achievements of all our graduates, honorees and our guest speakers. Students and guests who elect to participate are expected to observe some simple guidelines.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off for the duration of the exercise.
- Noise-making devices, banners and posters are prohibited, as are any objects that would detract from the formality of the event.
- Students and guests should remain in their seats until the faculty has proceeded in and out of the arena.
- The aisles must remain clear throughout the commencement exercise.
- Applause should be held until all students have received their degrees. Names will be read quickly, and it is important that every name is heard.
- Guests are requested to cooperate with any requests by Commencement Marshals and UMES Event Staff.
Following these guidelines should ensure the best possible experience for our graduates and guests.these guidelines should ensure the best possible experience for our graduates and guests.